Improving the availability and quality of education in Kenya is essential for breaking the countries’ cycle of poverty. Better educational opportunities enable young people to improve their living standards and generally has a positive impact on the community as a whole. Our educational HUB assists orphans and needy children from marginalized backgrounds through bursary development programs and scholarships in addition to supporting the informal schooling sector and private tuition. Furthermore, the HUB benefits the community as a whole through teaching environmental awareness, building community capacity, and supporting vocational training and adult education programs.
Schools in the poor communities and slums are often overlooked, chronically under-resourced and generally inadequate.
Our program supports the development of local schools through the following strategies:
• Facilitating the construction of informal and community public-school classrooms
• Acquiring necessary supplies and equipment
• Construction of ablution blocks
• Construction of crèches
• Improving school administration facilities
• Community points
• Erection of fences
• Development of community gardens and other school support programs such as environmental conservation
The far-reaching benefits of the school support program include:
• Schools become eligible for additional teachers (arranged by the government) as the improvements raise the profile of the school
• Classroom over-crowding is reduced
• Lower student-teacher ratios
• Improved classroom conditions
• Higher school attendance rates and better overall school morale
There are a range of positive indirect outcomes associated with supporting the development of schools. These programs assist in the generation of local jobs including in construction and the long-term demand for teachers. School governance and parent-teacher relations become more robust as the management of schools improves. Furthermore, enhancing the status of schools enables the development of positive relations with humanitarian organizations, donors and PRF. Finally, the importance of humanitarian tourism and volunteering is promoted.